If an NPA or a Collective member is leaving, please use: Exit Procedure for NPAs or Exit Procedure for Collective Members
Because situations will vary, some of these steps will be more critical or time-sensitive in different cases. Documentation, however, is a must. These steps are specifically applicable to staff collective members, though most of them will be useful for interns/associate staff.
- Name of exiting staff member: ____________________
- Name of person completing checklist: _____________________
- Date checklist started: _____________________
|Staff exit procedure
|As far in advance as possible:
- Ask them if they want to continue their health care with COBRA. If they are interested, have them speak with HR.
- Ask about rolling retirement money out of our 403(b) VALIC plan.
|Two weeks before scheduled last day (or ASAP): Announce it to the community:
- Regulars e-mail list (this should include paidworkers by default)
- Directors e-mail list
- Get keys and update Keyholders page.
- Review whether we need to change locks/passwords (Richard)
- Recollect infrastructure equipment/other FG property they might have (extra laptop or other special hardware, credit card, etc.)
- ID card (with or without trimet sticker)
- Zone G parking permit
- If they were a credit card holder, make sure all recurring transactions based on that card are transferred to another card, or other arrangements made.
- Remove access code from the alarm system:
- Remove the alarm code itself from the access terminal. (Richard)
- Edit encrypted file of alarm access codes. (Richard)
- Contact service company to notify them of the change. (Richard)
- Arrange for picking up or delivering any personal property left at Free Geek.
- remove access to Securewiki
- remove from computer groups on application server
- fgstaff group
- beancounters (probably)
- outreach (probably)
- h*grants (probably)
|Social Media Accounts: Remove access to (when applicable):
- Determine and note their status: for example, resigned / laid off / fired*
- Update the RT Personnel Files.
- RT: remove from FGStaff group, perhaps adding to FGCore group
|In the database:
- Confirm their address and phone number for our records
- Edit their database record, removing sign-in rights and cashier rights (unless they're okayed to continue volunteering in those roles)
- Edit their worker page. Change status to "inactive" starting on the first day the person is no longer working.
|Replacement and communications:
- If applicable, figure out logistics of transition to new hire: can they do training?
- Ask them to record an outgoing message, referring callers to other staff and extensions.
- Arrange for forwarding of email to other staff.
- Notify Paychex (verify correct address is on the record for tax forms)
- Get them their last paycheck and including vacation pay. If there are vacation backpay or other payment issues, be sure this is clear and documented in the personnel file
- Remove from restricted email lists and server groups
- HR email list
- Staff email list
- Paid Workers email list
- Locks email list
- other committee email lists as determined by those committees
- Ask if they want to remain on any lists at all.
- Ask if they want to continue using their @freegeek.org email address.
- Does s/he moderate any email lists? If so, then pass them off to another.
|On the wiki:
|In scheduling software:
- remove from future shifts, standard shifts (used to generate future schedules), and any meetings.
|Get feedback for the organization:
- Was their job description adequate and accurate?
- What would they change about the job?
- Were they well supported by peers and management?
- Where did they grow the most in the job?
- What was most challenging about the job?
- What advice would they give to their replacement?